NOT EVERYBODY ENJOYS READING FOR A MULTITUDE OF REASONS
- Reading is time consuming. Time is money. Paycheck> reading for fun.
- People do not know what kind of books are out there, yes even with the internet, if you’re put through a school system that only values Shakespeare and racist ass books like Huckleberry Finn and To Kill a Mockingbird that can definitely sully your idea of reading.
- Some people thrive in other intelligences like interpersonal and do really well understanding other’s emotions but struggle with their lingustic intelligence.
- Dyslexia and other learning disorders can making reading unpleasant.
- Bad eyesight.
- Most people hate math, and that’s fine and you guys will say “omg math is the devil it’s okay” but not reading is like OMG U SO IGNORANT. That doesn’t even make sense. Some people don’t like things. Are y’all children? Do you not understand that?
- Even when people do read you have stipulations on it. No ebooks. Or okay ebooks, but audio books aren’t really reading. Technology’s made it so that toilets flush themselves but if somebody wants to listen to some old white woman reading Pride and Prejudice that ain’t cool.
- It’s really classist to say that everybody should enjoy reading. The same people reblogging shit about privileges all damn day are the first ones talking about “I hate when people don’t read.” Everybody’s not privileged enough to have the time to read, or know how to read or gives two small fucks about reading.
- Some people are illiterate and literacy is not an indicator of intelligence and people need to stop believing that.
- "Reading is fundamental" except comprehension is more important. Y’all are the worst at that and if that was an indication of your intelligence (WHICH IT STILL ISN’T) I’d say go back to basics with One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish because you’re way behind the learning curve.
- People of color have a history of telling stories through word of mouth SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME and acting like written word is the only valid form of storytelling is some bullshit (AND RACIST).
- For a lot of POC in the US, we only know English and MAYBE NOBODY GIVES A FUCK ABOUT A FUCK ASS COLONIZER’S LANGUAGE ENOUGH TO READ IT FOR FUN.
I don’t understand this obsession with worrying about someone else’s reading habits. If you won’t date someone who doesn’t read fine, that’s your business, but there’s probably a reason they don’t. If you think people who don’t read aren’t intelligent, I don’t know how you’re reading with your head up your own ass anyway. Some people don’t like reading and it’s none of your business and not your place to judge and I cannot comprehend for the life of me why it’s so important to y’all.
hey let’s talk about how your consistent and constant implication that people of colour and lower-income people don’t like to read, don’t want to read and/or are not capable or reading is actually racist and classist as fuck